Thursday 17 October 2013

Ancillary - Magazine Research

When creating the front cover for a music magazine as one of two ancillary products, I have needed to do some research so that I can produce the best quality product possible. The magazine that I will create will feature the film that I have made on the front as the main story inside it. I have considered making my magazine of the same genre to my film trailer which is horror, however I believe I will be able to make a much better product if I don't base my magazine around one specific genre as I will have more options and things to include when designing it. The main magazines that I will use as inspiration will be the 'Empire' and 'Total Film' magazines as these are the two biggest movie magazines in the world. I believe they have become so popular because they have not limited themselves to talking about one specific genre of film. Instead, they talk about every genre, even the less dominant ones such as sci fi and animation.


Both magazines follow their own house style for each issue with their own unique font and layout. As you can see, they both look very effective as they follow a colour scheme of no more than four colours on each issue. Like with most professional magazines, the main image tends to take up the majority of the page whilst being surrounded by various bits of text and other images such as sub-headings, pugs, puffs and tag-lines.


The main magazines that focus on the horror genre, which is the genre I have chosen for my film trailer are 'Fangoria', 'Shock Horror' and 'Scream'. Although they are not as well known as Empire or Total Film, they are still very effective magazines and a have a huge horror fan base and following of loyal subscribers. As you can see from the examples below, they don't look as effective or professional as Empire or Total Film which is another reason as to why I am not limiting my magazine to horror. Also, they look as though they would not appeal to anyone who isn't a horror fan meaning that the sales figures and profit for the magazines will definitely not be as much as what Empire or Total Films are.

No comments:

Post a Comment